Re: Internet as a delay (was Re: Streaming from our recording studio)

This rings a bell.  In the distant past, I heard of a scheme by some
branch of the U.S.
military (perhaps the Army) to produce a database "site" which would be
always secured
against natural disaster, etc.  The idea was to transmit the data (in an
encoded form) via
radio to the moon, the signal would rebound from the moon and echo back to
the earth where
it would be regenerated and re-transmitted, hence forming a long,
recirculating, delay
loop.  Cool idea, probably never implemented.

It opens up all kinds of strange and wonderful ideas for "alternate
technology" looping.
You could set up long acoustic delay lines, using perhaps long wires or
railroad tracks.  I
like the idea of the Internet as a delay (it usually functions as a delay
anyway :) ).  I
read a book some time past where a person in Australia set-up transducers
on long telegraph
lines and "listened" to the environment.  He spoke of it as a very
Zen-like thing, like
having your nervous system stretching for miles across the country-side.
He could hear
"ticks" as the wire heated up due to the morning sun, birds landing on the
wire and clouds
of insects colliding.  I found it fascinating to read...but I ramble.

- Dennis Leas