Re: My Future in Looping

>klaw@iglou.com wrote:
>> >I ve also
>> >developed a new way of using samples in live performance.Rather than
>using
>> >a sequencer ,I am programming varios control schemes using EMU E6400&
>> >pc1600 great results last gig!
>
>This sounds interesting.  Can you describe this in more detail?
>
>- Dennis Leas

Yeah be happy to.The current EOS allows you to use 8 different divisions of
the clock (internal or external)as a modulation source.This "cord" as its
referred to can be applied to pitch, sample retrig,filter cutoff, lfo rates
& many other targets to metion here.Rather than using my sequencer to play
a piece ,I set the constant midi clock output from it as a timing
reference.Ive set up multiple voices(samples with processing)stacked on top
of each other & crossfading them.This creates a complex sereies of rythmic
melodic relationships
that I can set up to bleed into each other or chop on off in accordance to
the midi tempo coming from the sequencer.This of couse means I can sync
this whole gyrating sonic thunderstorm with a real live human drummer or
band for that matter.I set up many different midi controllers on the Emu
(some usual stuff :ptch,filteretc and some not so unusual like smming all
the clock divisors and choosing how much one (or more )will affect the
samples.THis is contolled by the 1600 with faders & footpedals I also have
a Dbeam.I use  analog  drum loops, guitar chiffs ,field recordings usually
taken from tapes or dats  etc in the sampler & its cool to switch the
samples while playing one of these "sequences"that adds yet another truly
improvisation element because the content changes but  maintains rhythmic
integrity.Its actually possible  to take one sample & get dozens of radical
permutations using the cords matrix in the EOS.I also program screwwd up
sampling patches in my Etide to stretch & warp layers of sound
independently from others.Everthing supports the other very well,everone
usually gets along.thats the good thing about it.Thats why Im keeping my
Emu for now-cant do this with any other sampler-Maybe Kurzweil? ok KYMA but
lets not get into that.THe basic gist of it is I wantsd to get away from
playing preprogrammed midi sequences live & really improvise with the
sampler & its great.My goal is to merge live instruments & sampling to
create a new organic sound like you here it & it doesnt sound" electronic"
but it is .This whole thing came together so quickly (however through
months of expiermentation)setting up controllers isnt easy .You have to go
to each EOS preset & manually assign them .No way to copy. BTW I
sucessfully looped a aux feed from the board back into my looping rig
.Going to do this in a more acoustic setting (becomes pretty unstable
loud)Pretty cool hearing those live drums looped & reversed(:.If interesed
I have a cd with some examples Ive described . Take care K LAW