RE: Converting FileFormats.

At 9:08 -0700 8/22/98, Javier Miranda V. wrote:
> Well, going from 8-bit to 16-bit is like going from 72 dpi to 300 dpi.
>You can do it, but it doesn't sound too good -- look too good.  As with
>dpi, it's best to work from the top down for results.

absolutely true...

> If you find a sample on the Internet that's 8-bit, I would suggest you
>leave that alone and use it as is.  An an example, I think the
>introduction to Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart," the killer drum part, was
>a low-quality sample -- I guess high-quality at that time.

... but the thread started because Thomas' software will only work with
16-bit 44100 files.

A better analogy is that converting from 8-bit 22.05 Khz to 16-bit 44.1 KHz
is like going from 75 dpi to 300 dpi.  I don't know if that's actually
mathematically correct but you get the idea:  it scales up perfectly
without any artifacts being introduced by "stretching" and all you're
losing is disk space.  Of course you're not gaining any quality by using
the higher resolution (no free lunch) but it makes the software happy.

Doug

--
Doug Wyatt                             doug@sonosphere.com
Sonosphere (electric/improv music)     http://www.sonosphere.com/