Re: PUFFyisms

At 1:02 AM -0700 8/27/98, Thomas W¿hni wrote:

>The only point that matters to me is this:  did the Police get payed when
>he used their song? If they did than GO PUFFY GO PUFFY GO PUFFY.  :-)

Well, Sting was on stage singing with him for one of those inane awards
shows, so I would guess so. Jimmy Page probably made out ok, too.

Puff Daddy is probably a case that doesn't qualify as fair use, since he
pretty much captures the whole melody of the song, and doesn't really
attempt to do anything new with it. Quite the opposite, he's trying to make
it sound a lot like the original. He's much closer to doing a cover
version, most of the time, and paying a royalty is totally appropriate.

BTW, I totally agree with what you say about Puff Daddy. The guy's not
trying to be a Snobby Artist. He's just making fun, good-times music. Seems
absurd to judge him to some high-art standard when he's clearly not trying
to be that.

kim