Re: Sampling and ownership

In a message dated 8/27/98 1:48:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
jlack@auran.com
writes:

<< Your teachers, parents, what have you taken from them and used,
 what should you give them back?
 The musicians and artists who have inspired you, what do you really owe
 them? >>

R. Fripp had an interesting response to a similar question (which,
unfortunately, I don't have access to right now, or I'd quote [sample]
verbatim) to which his response was to the effect that you don't pay back,
you
pay forward; you try to do for others down the line what someone did for
you
back up the line.

If I do something nice for someone, or inspiring, or what have you, the
payback for me is in having done it, and done it in honor (directly or
not) of
the people who have done for me. If someone then takes from that and does
the
same for another down the line, then the chain continues.

- Bill
Crossedout@aol.com