Re: ASR-X Pro vs. MPC2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Crossedout@aol.com <Crossedout@aol.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
Date: Saturday, August 29, 1998 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: ASR-X Pro vs. MPC2000

>The only thing I could say (well, the two things...)
>
>1) The MPC maxes out at 10 audio outs, not two - it has a left and right
out
>built in, and you can add another board that gives you eight more outs,
>assignable.

SO does the ASR-X, comes with 2 outs and you can add another 8 (I did)

>2) I came into the sampler / sequencer market from a guitarist's
background,
>not from a midi/keys background, and I found the MPC to be the most
intuitive,
>easiest to use, get-it-out-of-the-box-and-get-moving devices that I tried
>(compared to the ASR, and compared to the Roland DJ-70 I made the mistake
of
>purchasing...).

I haven't spent any time on the MPC, but I think the X is really easy to
use, and I'm a drummer !

>If you are conversant in the ins and outs of samplers and midi, and you
need
>to utilize all the advantages that the ASR has over the MPC (which don't
seem
>like super much to me, but I still haven't maxed out my usage of the MPC),
>then maybe the ASR is the better choice, but if you want something that's
very
>easy to use and understand, I'd pick (and have picked) the MPC.

Well, it does come with an Ensoniq MR synth right inside it, plus you can
add an expansion board that gives you hundreds more sounds, I think this
brings  it up to like 1000 internal synth patches. And they sound
incredible
too. Also gives you resonant filters, and Global Reverbs with 8 models for
Plates, Halls, Rooms, and Huge Places. Then there's the insert effects, a
24-bit ESP-2 effects processor chip that gives you an additional 40
algorithms with 4 variations each available. EQ, Reverb, Chorus, Flange,
DDL, Distortion, Tunable Speaker, Chatter Box, Vocal Morph, and Auto wah
presets . The ASR-X uses standard file formats for sequences (SMF) and
samples (AIFF), plus it reads WAV files, and it's compatible with all
existing ASR-10 & EPS libraries, plus it'll import Akai (S-1000/1100) and
Roland sounds via SCSI. Then of course there's the RESAMPLING, which is one
of the most awesome feature of the whole box. For more details on the ASRX,
check it out on http://www.ensoniq.com/html/mainasrxpro.htm

also check out:
http://www.globaldrum.com/interface/asrx/
and