cripsy hip hop drum sounds

hello to all
i have an akai mpc 2000.  and okay, so my first problem is trying to
program
some beats that dont sound so straight and linear.  you know, i'm trying to
get some beats with some swing and some funk to them but they always come
out
sounding so square and 1-2-3-4, like connect the dots.  i cannot figure out
the swing function on the damn machine, so if anyone can explain that to
me a
little bit better that would be cool.
also, i am trying to find or figure out how to get some of those nice
crispy
hip hop drum sounds.  those drums that sounds real raw and dirty.  if
anyone
can help me it would be greatly appreciated.  and if anyone has an mpc 2000
and would like to exchange tips and info that would be nice too.
thanks,
dave
saulnierds@aol.com