Re: cripsy hip hop drum sounds

Hello dave, you'll probably hear from some others on this list who own
an mpc2000. Moi, I'm dying to get one next month! However, I have been
trying it out a lot in music stores along with the ASR-X.

I can say this about the SWING function: move the cursor to the
"Timing:" parameter, select "EDIT" and viola, there's the "Swing:"
parameter.

On making beats funky and dirty (disclaimer: everyone probably does this
differently, and all established techniques are waiting to be broken!):
1) use varying dynamics! (i.e. vary the accents slightly) - nothing
makes a bit more stiff than unvarying accent levels, especially on
hihats, cymbals etc.
2) think of larger cycles which change above the basic groove
3) run the beat though a distortion/flanger/pitch shifter pedal etc.
4) stream the beat to a computer and process it WHOLE [with distortion,
very short delays (< 10 ms), slight reverb, pitch shifting] to get rid
of the "discrete beats" feel
5) resample snares, hihats etc. at a lower rate for a super dirty sound
6) use a compressor (esp. on bass drums) to get really FAT, oops I mean
PHAT sounds
7) break a groove into 1/8ths and reassemble the pieces (e.g. with
Recycler or whatever its called)
8) tweak the resonant frequencies of individual drum sounds (e.g. bass
drums)

n nuff o ma bla bla,
Rob