Monkey Music

For me, it is easier to listen to free music if I know the 'noise' being
made isn't just a limitation of of the performers involved. In other words,
I can enjoy Thrakattak because I respect what the muscians involved are
capable of. I guess some muscians have the option to make 'noise'- for some
that is all they can do.
To me, 'free improv' is more than making 'monkey music'. When skilled
musicians get together and play freely, it certainly may be easy to create
'noise', but for me the trick is to balance that with what I know and like
about harmony, melody and rhythm. Hopefully the end result (musical noise?)
will be based more on creativity and skill than 'look how avant and deep I
can be-dig?'.

Dave Eichenberger
'Future Perfect' - art music
http://home1.gte.net/artmusic/