Re: SP-808 Test Drive

In a message dated 10/19/98 8:16:34 PM, Paolo wrote:

>Overall, the SP-808 is a fun toy.
>I was however disappointed that it could not sample and playback at the
>same time (now I'm beginning to understand Kim's point about dedicated
>loopers and DJ-oriented gear beginning to converge but not being there
>yet)
>and that the D-beam appeared to be always global.

I've been working out with a used 808 for about a week now (with NO
interest
in "traditional" DJ'ing or remixing), and after I get a MIDI pedal that
sends
MMC, I'll be reporting on it as a realtime looper...so far, it's pretty
clear
that Kim is right: Not there yet, still not favoring total spontaneity, but
some really intriguing options bubbling up...doesn't seem to be any way to
trigger sampling to the pads by foot...etc...etc
The D-Beam definitely doesn't have to be global, altho the Vari-speed
function
always is, I believe.
dpc