Re: Looping Catching on?

Hello fellow loopers,
    I agree completely with what Paul has written, but at the same time am
also in complete agreement with a comment someone (Kim Flint, I think, but
I don't remember) made a couple of days ago concerning the need to raise
looping's recognition level as far as equipment manufacturers are
concerned. It's all well and good to be idealistic about artistic integrity
(and I'm not being sarcastic; I do mean that) but we can't ignore the
market factor's influence on the continued existance of the toys we tweak.
If looping "catches on" to a larger number of people, you can bet that
newer and cooler tools will soon appear as the gear makers recognise an
increased opportunity to prosper and stay in business. Owners of live
venues would be more receptive to booking us purveyors of that "weird
music" if they were to recognise the possibility of getting a good crowd of
paying customers. We'd be more likely to see each others' work in the bins
at the CD stores, and less dependent on special orders placed by an
"enlightened few". It's a win-win, really.

What do all you loopers think? What's the best way to be true to the music
and to let looping continue to evolve into an instrument in its own right,
while at the same time to remain aware of the economic realities involved
with presenting looping to the larger general-business, AOR
top-forty-weaned listening public? How do we make this "fad" which is
already legit to us appeal to John and Jane Doe without pandering to
commerciality? Any thoughts on this?

Tim Nelson

(P.S. to Paul: I don't mean to imply that you're unaware of this; remember,
I said I agree with you completely!)