Re: loop subtraction

At 02:17 AM 3/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>How do you control such features in the upgrade? Multitrack looping takes
>lot of user interface, and the Jamman was pretty spartan even for the
>features that it had in the first place. Do you need lots of midi
>controllers, then?  And how do you tell what it's doing with hardly any
>display?

Multitrack looping doesn't require much more of an interface, actually.

The same set of 20 MIDI program changes control the various aspects of
recording and overdubbing:

Here is the MIDI program change controller layout that I proposed to Bob
Sellon:

The first 10 functions operate on a page or global basis:

0 TAP
1 RESET
2 BYPASS
3 LOOP/DELAY MODE
4 START/STOP
5 FADE ALL
6 SELECT PAGE 1 (LOOP  1)
7 SELECT PAGE 2 (LOOP  2)
8 SELECT PAGE 3 (LOOP  3)
9 SELECT PAGE 4 (LOOP  4)

The next 10 functions operate on a per channel basis:

10 CLICK ON/OFF
11 SLAPBACK DELAY ON/OFF
12 REVERSE
13 REPLACE
14 LAYER
15 CHANNEL FADE (Individual track fade)
16 SELECT/MUTE CHANNEL 1 (TRACK 1)
17 SELECT/MUTE CHANNEL 2 (TRACK 2)
18 SELECT/MUTE CHANNEL 3 (TRACK 3)
19 SELECT/MUTE CHANNEL 4 (TRACK 4)

In addition, the functionality of the right knob, which used to select the
time base of the loop, (and used to dump the contents of the memory if it
were adjusted while running), has ben significantly changed:

 Label                         Description
 MIDI Channel               Selects the MIDI channel to which the system
will respond

Audio Threshold
                                     This sets the signal level at which
the system will
                                      trigger (start recording, restart
playback) if the
                                      Operating Mode is set for Sampler.
 Output Level
               This a soft controllable output level control. This
               can be stored if the EEPROM is installed and can
               also be controlled via MIDI Controller
 Dry Level
               This sets the signal level of the dry input signal
               through the DSP. This is useful if you are using the
               system "in line" and want to have MIDI control of
               the dry signal. If used in an effects loop, this is
               usually set to 0. (note- the dry signal in this mode is
               summed to mono.)(also note that Mix knob needs to
               be set for 100% Wet to use the Dry Level control
               effectively.
 Slap Time
               This sets the delay time of the built in slap delay
 Slap Level
               This sets the signal level of the built in slap delay.
 Click Level
               This sets the signal level of the "Click"
               (Metronome)
 Level
               This sets the signal level of the "Active" Channel
 Pan
               This sets the "Pan" (left/right position) of the signal
               in the stereo output image
 Echo Divide
               This defines how the loop size is divided up when
               the Function is set for Delay.
 Feedback
               This sets the amount of the output that is fed back
               into the input when the Function is set for Delay.
 Function
               This defines which "Function" will become active
               when the TAP button is pressed (after the initial
               loop is "tapped" in).
 Operating Mode
               This defines the global Operating Mode of the
               system.
 Num Beats
               This defines the number of beats that will be
               assigned to the loop. This effects the "Click" and
               MIDI clock in and out.
 Page
               This selects the current page for editing (pressing
               TAP makes it "Active").
 Channel
               This selects the current channel for editing
               (pressing TAP makes it "Active").

But they are useless. They can only give you answers. -Picasso, on
computers.