Re: EDP Problem

At 5:11 AM -0700 5/28/99, Clifford Novey wrote:
>Ok, sorry to be so busy with the postings-
>
>I turned the EDP off and upon restarting it worked fine- this is not good
>news-
>Maybe the head honchos have some clues??

I do have one thought, based on this. I don't know if it helps, its all
conjecture at the moment.... When the machine is first turned on, we do a
calibration of the digital audio parts. We also do this whenever you reset
the loop, and at regular intervals if you leave it sitting there in reset.
The point of this is to take care of offsets that can develop in the
digital audio convertor parts as they warm up. So let's say you turn the
echoplex on when it's cold and immediately record a loop and leave it going
for a long time. Then after it's running for a while, this fade thing
starts to happen. It could be that an offset has developed as the digital
audio parts warmed up, gotten bad enough to cause this problem, and we
haven't had any chance to do our calibration. (we can't do it while the
loop is going, since it causes a dropout/pop.) When you turn it off and
back on again, the digital audio part gets calibrated again and is already
warmed up, and everything is fine. You also might try pressing reset, and
see if that does it since that also runs the calibration.

we'll look into it and see if we come up with anything else. It's weird,
because most units are fine and never do this. It could be that the digital
audio part in yours has an unusual offset problem, or maybe it's something
else altogether... hard to diagnose by email!

kim