RE: Adrian Belew's Loops -- Review of show in Cambridge, MA -- June 10, 1999

I saw the Adrian Belew Show last night at The Middle East rock club in
Cambridge, MA.

To me the night displayed well Adrian's
Hendix-meets-McCartney-on-Vaudeville
persona.  He's like an incandescant smile in a dark room.  Good lord he can
play guitar like no-one else.  When he solo's he's got all manner of
facility to what he plays.

His peppy, chatty manner was very much in contrast to the standard fare
heard at The Middle East.  Sonically, the room is a hard one to balance and
to make sound good.  Indeed, every act I see that brings its own sound
person to this club sounds from bad to worse.  Last night was one of the
worst.  No low-end, soupy and WAY BRITE!

Adrian had three guitar set-ups on stage.  Two acoustic (a dobro, and a
taylor) and one electric. Two Johnson Millennium amps, each with an
extension 2x12 cabinet, were arranged in a semi-circle behind Mr. B and on
top of a new black rug to keep Andrian's stuff clean and separated from
beaten stage-boards that will have seem all manner of wetness and wear.

Belewps were evidenced as Adrian played songs from his 20 years in Rock.
Belewps were not ambient at all, but rather riffs and chords which Adrian
could add to and use to support the songs he played.  No floaty tinklings
here.  I couldn't run down all the tunes, as many were unfamilar to me.
But
I can say the tunes from his first two records are dear to me and took me
back to a different time.  He also played Krimson songs including Neal &
Jack and Me and Dinosaur (which started on acoustic and ended on electric).
Pre-recorded drums supported a few tunes.

Adrian chatted between tunes.  He asked if anyone had questions. Unlike the
decorous assemblys at Robert Fripp's solo shows, this was a more rock and
rowdy crowd.  Adrian mentioned that he's involved in five different solo
projects, which when you think about it makes one smile.  The Bears will
have a new album.  Also, he promises that when Robert visits him next, they
will write a song together.  He mentioned his next big tour will be with
Krimson.

When asked, Adrian said his favorite guitarists in clude Hendrix and Jeff
Beck and Robert Fripp -- and that when he met Jeff Beck recently, Jeff
complimented him on his playing.

The encore was a bit staged, as some of the room had started to clear out,
when lo! he was back and playing again.

A few times we were reminded of the consession table and that he'd be out
after the show to chat and sign stuff.

I was happy to shake his hand and ask if he would like to endorse the EDP.
He said yes.  I'll be following up on that with Stan, his management.

Overall, a unique and entertaining evening from a unique and entertaining
man.

David Kirkdorffer
UNDO