Re: Alesis HR- 16 drum machine

Hi Kelly,

I'm not sure, because I've never had mine "lock up" on me, but, y'know,
I'll bet it does clear everything, because Alesis highly recommends saving
the SR-16's memory to tape or MIDI before re-initializing. The manual is
kind of vague; it could be interpreted as either clearing ALL memory, or
all user-input changes, so it would be safer to assume that you'd lose your
pre-sets. If the HR- works the same way, this would leave Jeff right about
where he started, wouldn't it? Someone in this position would probably have
to either find someone who's made a tape backup and load from that, or find
someone who's got a HR-16 that still has all its presets and get the two
machines to talk to each other via MIDI.

I've just been searching the web for HR-16 info and all I'm finding are
dead links or people asking the same question Jeff did on BBS's and getting
no answers. Even my favourite bookmarked SR-16 site is no longer (although
I did turn up a pretty cool SR-16 editor demo). However, one thing that did
pop up was an old LD archive entry where Kim Flint mentions using his HR-16
with his 'plex, so maybe he would know... Kim?

Jeff never specified whether his is the older HR-16 or the (relatively)
newer HR-16B, which probably makes a difference...

Tim