Re: Question of the Week -- when do you NOT loop?

I agree with the list-members who suggest that whether you loop
or not is more a matter of availability than desirability.
How many times has a "predictable" musical situation suddenly
changed direction and left itself wide open for a loop (or two)?
Wouldn't it be great to have every bit of kit available at every
event from a bedroom jam to a big gig? Equally wouldn't it be
great if every bit of kit could be patched together in any order
whenever needed?
So for any jam or gig I have to decide what to take by way of
instruments, amps and effects. I guess this is a bit like
like lightning striking (according to Robert Fripp anyway)
but if you ain't wired for it it won't do you any good.

So, isn't music/looping like every other form of employment -
"you do the best job you can with what's available in the time
available"? or is this too "workmanlike" in approach?

Jim Carter
University of Bristol
Cantock's Close
Bristol