Re: shorter looping times [oscillations?]

Tim Nelson wrote:

> Anyone else using short loopers either by themselves or in conjunction
>with
> longer ones?

well, i use both a dd3 and dd5 (among other things) into an edp; what i
typically
use the boss units for is delay rather than looping (although i used them
extensively for looping before i got the edp); but this thread brings to
mind an
interesting quality with these more *primitive* devices. namely, the
ability to
self-oscillate at certain feedback settings. i recently had the dd3 (which
is
stupidly easy to make oscillate) running into the dd5; settings thus:

dd3

level:          max
f.back:       1 o'clock  or? (just into self-oscillation but held back so
as to
remain controlled)
d.time:       variable
mode:        variable

dd5

level:          max
f.back:       max
d.time:        variable (this is the basic controlling variable; if
feedback gets
too intense, shift the frequencies elsewhere)
mode:         1

this was actually the first time i've gotten the dd5 to self-oscillate
(it's
always seemed a more tailored box in my experience); i merely plucked a
string on
my guitar to get a signal into the dd3, then put the guitar down and
basically
fiddled with the delay times for 2 hours (all the while layering on the
edp).
scared myself silly!

lance g.

minor caveat: be cautious at first, as extreme feedback frequencies are
speaker-melting at volume (and volume can jump quite dramatically!)