Re: Kyma Capybara

>But you can't take your Kyma "sounds"/patches and work perform with
>them in another sequencing program.  Do I have that right?

As a short answer, no, you can't take your patch "into" another sequencer.

Here's more detail, hope it's not too much.  Sounds/patches in Kyma are
small
programs which are downloaded into the Capybara hardware accelerator.  On
the
host computer system (either a Mac or Windows system) where you write the
programs, they appear on the screen as icons that you connect with "wires"
implement the signal flow.  Some of the icons represent such functions as
mixing
several inputs in one output, matrixing several inputs to several outputs,
filters, delays, samples from disk, live input, algorithmic computations,
etc.
After you write the "patch", you compile it, load it into the Capybara, and
execute it (this is as simple as typing control-space).  So in final form
the
patch is a set of DSP instructions to be executed on the Capybara.  Once
loaded
with your patch, the Capybara acts as any piece of studio gear like a MIDI
controlled FX unit, sampler, synth, etc.  Now you can deal with the
Capybara
(transformed into whatever you want it to be via programming - Vortex
simulator,
looper, sampler, reverb unit, digital mixer, etc., compressor/expander,
graphic/parametric EQ) as if it were a just another piece of equipment.

>If so, is
>the Kyma sequencing program as sophisticated as a dedicated
>sequencing program like Digital Performer?

It is not a good general purpose MIDI sequencer.  For these uses, Symbolic
Sound
suggests running a MIDI sequencer on your host computer to control the your
equipment (including the Capybara).  For controlling internal sequences,
however, the Kyma system is quite sophisticated and precise.  You can
specify
time intervals in microseconds for example.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com