Re: Noises through pickups

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Scott Martin wrote:

> I've heard in divers places about adding sonic
> material to loops by playing various things through
> the pickups of a guitar - vibrators, cordless drills,
> etc.  My particular interest is in using cassette
> players; I know that Torn sensei does some of this,
> and I think others on the list have mentioned it.
> Anyone care to share experiences, techniques, caveats
> in this area?

I have an old comment archived from Stickwire on this, from Stew Benedict:

----words below are by Stew----
Hey all you string-instrument players/loopists.  I don't know if anyone
else is a CAD-jockey, but I stumbled on an interesting effect last night
by accident while setting up a digitizing tablet and trying to get in
some Stick practice.  The "puck" on a digitizer has wire windings around
the bullseye, which connect back to the circuitry to locate the puck on
the tablet.  Anyway, by accident I lifted the puck from the tablet and
it got close to my pickups/strings and generated some very interesting
sounds, sort of a sitar/spring reverb kind of thing, amplitude varied
by proximity to strings and pickup.  I would guess this is similar to
the concept the ebow uses?  I didn't have time to explore it fully,
but if any of you have a digitizer laying around, check it out, it's
sort of neat!
----words below are mine----

Not having a graphics tablet around, I've never tried this yet. :)

regards,
Steve Burnett
--
onNow: Attrition, _The Jeopardy Maze_