Re: OT-fundamentals in sound (was singing bowls)

Bret wrote:

> ...So how small a bowl is too small to be (physically) able to create
> the
> low freq, loud (vague terms) sound we hear from the bowls, with the
> amount of energy we apply to the bowls...

just to throw in a completely non-scientific anecdote; my wife and i got
married in joshua tree. our wedding took place outdoors, in a natural
ampitheatre created by millions of years of geologic upheaval (hidden
valley, if anyone out there knows it). to make a long story short, we
borrowed several tibetan singing bowls (as well as some very large and
heavy swiss cowbells- another great sound source for anyone interested),
and convinced a few friends to clamber several hundred feet up into the
boulder-masses, with the intent of creating an ambient sonic backdrop for
the ceremony. the singing bowls were extremely audible (although the
cowbells had them beat for sheer volume), and it seemed clear that, over
the distance of several hundred feet, we were hearing some very low
fundamentals. this, of course, proves nothing (i did say it was completely
anecdotal:-).

lance g.

ps, it rained/hailed heavily that morning, and cleared 15 minutes before
the wedding began. the sound of receding desert thunder coupled with the
random striking of hidden bells and the perfume of fresh rain on rocks &
desert flowers was quite magical...