Need a hand with EDP sample dump

I'm trying to get the EDP to dump sysex data to cakewalk, and also
trying to understand the dump process.  I could use a helping hand  :)
I have a very cakewalk-specific "how to" question, and then a couple of
more general EDP questions.

I'm getting the sysex data on my PC, in fact I can monitor it using
Midi-OX.  It's coming in 127 byte "chunks" .  I have sysex turned on in
Cakewalk, with them max number of buffers set (128).  Also have midi
echo turned off (stumbled over that one for a while! lol)   Cakewalk is
definitely seeing the EDP, I can record continuous controller messages
45 and 46 (some sort of loop timing info?).  When I try to record sysex,
(either by using <you start dump on instrument> from the sysex view, or
simply by hitting "record" in the track view), however, I don't see any
data arriving.  I have no trouble recording sysex from other devices
using the same procedure.  Is there something different about the EDP
messages or communication that might be causing me a problem?

I've been finding the display on the EDP when dumping data confusing.
the manual says that the numbers will show the percentage of dump
completed.  What I'm seeing is a rapid cycling of numbers from 0 to 127,
with a "d" in two different positions toggling back and forth (but not
syncronized with the numbers).  I have no idea what this is telling me.

Also, the manual says to expect that transmission time will be 10 to 15
times the length of the current loop.  This makes sense to me.  I
recorded a 2 second loop and timed the dump.  It took 3 minutes.  That's
90 times the length.  At this speed, a 20 second loop will take
half-an-hour to transfer.  Is my EDP working properly?

Thanks for your help,
Elby