RE: Perception/excellence

I have to step in here.  Everybody is trying to find some religiously
absolute concept regarding the nature of music, or of a piece of music.  I
would like to remind eveybody about that famous question, "If a tree falls
in the forest, and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make any
sound?"

My point is that our perception of sound is hopelessly coloured by the
cultural notions and beliefs common in whatever culture in which you happen
to grow up.

Music itself is just vibrations of the atoms in the air.  Take away the
air,
there's nothing to vibrate.  Take away the atom vibration, there's no
sound.
Our concepts of music being what it is has nothing to do with the ultimate
reality of music— the atom vibration— it's just something we all agree to
accept being that we don't even know we are accepting it by growing up in
whatever country with whatever aesthetic values happen to be the rage.

What music kids nowadays find "mathematically, emotionally, physically—
absolutely" to be cool is very different from I find it to be.  I grew up
in
the Sixties, and the Seventies.  Clapton's solos, well-done pop songs, and
even long ambitious musical works do it for me.  This is partly the source
of all this "generation gap" talk that goes on since the Sixties.

This thread has been very enlightening at times, and what I have learned
from it, or being reminded of, really, is the great necessity for us to be
more analytical and aware of the great many factors that influence what we
think to be good, to be true, to be any certain way.

This is at the crux of the concept of awareness.  We can only make a better
judgement of goodness and truth only if we strive to know all the thoughts
and reasons that make up that judgement.

Most of the times we don't.  We just go by what is "out there."  We act
most
of the time like sponges, just taking in, taking in.

One of the fields of investigation that analyses this is art history.  All
they do is look at the values and judgements that were made regarding the
creation of those works, put a name on it, and teach the children about
them.  These names and what they describe are no more arbitratry than what
the artist him/herself chose to do and why.  But we do need them to make
sense of our past, of what they left behind for us to enjoy.  I'm for that.

The beginning of the "questioning of oneself" is the beginning of making
sure we have it together.  I'm sure everybody is for that.

Javier