My Foot Controller vs Your New Foot Controller

I am reprogramming my PMC-10 (Digitech) and it sure is a touchy thing!  The
Mitigator is more bulletproof but I can't dump the patches back to it--I
would have to reprogram it by hand, and that would take quite a while (I
gotta lotta patches).
It is possible to record patches thru the MIDI in on the Yamaha MFC 10?  I
am curious as to what messages you are storing in your footswitch.  What
all
do you send with one foot press--note on, CC, prog change, what else?
Also,
it doesn't look like the display is very big.  Is that a problem?
Gary
PS--Looks like the price was right 8^?