Re: the new iBook...

Hi:

We have been recording, mixing and mastering with a Tascam 428 board
into an original IMAC 233 bondi blue machine using Digital Performer
2.7.  We upgraded the IMAC to 198 megs of Ram and a fast 7200 rpm IBM
hard drive.  We are having a great time with this system.  The sound
quality at 24 bit 48 K sampling blows the doors off the old analogue
input that we've used for previous Digital Performer recordings on the
g3 series IMAC.  Latency seems FAR less of a problem then with the old
analogue input system. And yes, the sound card is built into the Tascam
mixer, so you are bypassing the Mac's sound inputs and outputs.
Everything is routed USB.  We monitor our recording with a full range
system at high db levels using Magneplaners and 400 watts a side with
biamped subwoofers.  Anybody telling you that USB can't sound good is
listening with some other equipment then human ears.  Maybe they're
sampled too many mpeg3s over their mini disc systems! (Just kidding...we
like both mpeg and minidisc formats for what they are, but find it
ironic that USB is catching flak when it has far more bandwidth then
aforementioned sound formats!)  We ARE extremely interested in new
firewire options.  And we are also interested in adapting G4 cards as
soon as possible because now that system 10  is out G4 is the chip of
choice and a dual processing G4 MAC sounds like it would be great for
Digital Performer 3.0.   That said, you can make terrific full bandwidth
recordings now at a low price.  The Tascam 428 goes for a street price
of about $400.  And a used IMAC should be available for about the same.
We would think twice before investing in a new MAC that DIDN'T have a G4
chip.  But we can't believe how good things are getting for the money!
Wish they had installed a USB system and a MAC in the White House
instead of the primitive fossil fuel burning and not  for the masses
mastahs that are running the joint right now.

Best,
Roctologists