Re: OT: giant pipes down Portola Avenue in Santa Cruz and other natural reverbs

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:35:07 -0700, "Rick Walker \(loop.pool\)"
<GLOBAL@cruzio.com> wrote:

>WHAT KICK ASS SONIC ANOMALIES DO YOU KNOW OF IN YOUR HOMETOWN........WHAT
>WIERD ASSED PIECE OF ARCHITECTURE OR SCULPTURES OR PLUMBING EXISTS TO BE
>STRUCK OR BLOWN ON OR OTHERWISE PUSHED INTO RESONANCE........

My old band "British Steel" in Xenia, Ohio (yes, we *were* big Judas
Priest fans, thank you) used to practice in a storm drain; we had to lug
our equipment through about a mile and a half of tunnels, and then we'd
get to a point where we could run a series of extension cords out to our
bass player's house. The acoustics were fantastic, and we could play
till all hours without bothering anyone. As long as it wasn't raining.
That was probably my biggest epiphany about loops and repetition, since
we could do all kinds of interesting things by letting the resultant
echoes become part of the performance... they would have been MORE
interesting, however, if we weren't a bunch of barely-teenage dorks who
couldn't play for shit.

It's also probably why I'm overly enamored of heavy reverb applied to
thin EQ, relying on the "damping" in the effect to provide the low end.
That rarely works well, anyway, so I'd classify it as a bad habit rather
than a point of style.