Re: Anyone have experience with the TASCAM USB-428?

Hi Paul:

We have been using the Tascam 428 with a Macintonsh first generation
Imac for about six months now.  We've heard all the discussions about
pros and cons of USB, etc, and we been recording with computers for the
past five years, and this thing sounds better then anything we've tried
so far.  There are limitations.  It's essentially a high sampling
(48khz/24bit) digital version of the Tascam portastudios, but if you can
live with the input limitations it's wonderful for the money.  Also
there can be latency issues depending on your computer (processor, hard
drive speed, ram, etc).  That said, we are using the first generation
(233 mhz) Imac with an IBM deskstar 72000 rpm/30 gig drive, and we are
more then happy with what we can do, and how good the 428 sounds running
Digital Performer 2.7.

Just to give you a comparison, a cd played through the imac and run
through the Tascam board, sounds significantly better then a cd played
through our 24 bit/ 96 khz DVD player.  We were surprised at this, but
we later found out that the Tascam actually has 24/bit/96 khz filter
installed, but the limitation of USB bandwidth and 4 track input puts
the Tascam ceiling at 48khz.

If you can spend more, look closely at the units in the $700 range,
especially those employing firewire.  In theory firewire devices should
have less latency and more bandwidth, but also realize that there are
other issues with power supplies, circuitry design, input, etc. that
ultimately affect the usability and "sound" of a input/converter device.

As we said, for the money, the Tascam 428 is awfully good.  And you do
have real sliders to push around whatever is going on up there on your
computer screen.  Also there has been very good customer support by way
of the Tascam bulletin board for the 428.

best,
Kevin

PS: we don't know the girl in the picture.  Maybe she's irked because
she's on a Wintel machine.  ;)