Re: Looper development and production costs?

excellent idea...
open source the software,
maybe use some subset of the linux os.
maybe even non-loopers would get in the game just as an
interesting problem to solve (student projects, etc)

you could do away with custom user interface; just use midi pedals and
such for control and use midi sysex and an editor/librarian for setup...

one problem i can think of right off is size.
if we made this a one rack space unit, cooling would
definitely be a problem.  remember our discussion about the
fans on these things.  fitting cards for i/o and midi is a bit difficult
(but possible) in a 1U.  i still haven't added a rack pc to my setup,
so i'm not sure how much of a problem this will be.   soon....

maybe with a celeron and a peltie you could avoid fans?

i would definitely be a contributor, though i have been programming
exclusively in windows for the last five years.  i keep thinking i will
get into linux at some point, but never have the time.
(as you know, i'm still way behind on my kyma progress...)