Re: MiniDisk

I'll agree regarding home decks.  Most have analog and digital (optical)
ins
along with analog and digital (optical) outs.  However, don't get too
excited
about a digital copy from a CD to an MD.  There's all sorts of conversions
done in addition to the MD compression to kill that idea.  Still I get
great
sound from both analog & digital ins on my Sonly MDS-JE510.

Regarding portables, my Sonly MZ-R700 (a very common model on the street
these days) has a line in that'll accept both an analog signal and an
optical
one...very cool.  Also, there's a stereo mic input that is certainly
analog
and probably does not accept an optical signal (I'd have to dig out the
manual.)  Most portables I've seen, however, do not have any sort of
digital
output.  No big deal if you've also got a deck at home, but something to
consider.

Hope this helps,
Todd Pafford