Re: Expectations, artifice, and a hell of a can of worms

I kind of disagree about not giving the audience a bit of an idea of what
you're doing.  You don't have to pontificate about it, or go into minutia,
but a tad of explanation can be good.  You rarely see a painting or
photograph that doesn't describe the medium a bit.  Why not music?
Usually,
it's self explanatory, a guy is playing an electric guitar through an amp.
Sax into a PA, Vocal, etc.  But when you're doing something that's not
evident, I think people like a little heads up.  Of course, all this is *in
addition to a good performance of interesting music*, not instead of.  I
think a little explanation before your performance is nice, and can build a
rapport with your audience.  I've only had good experiences while doing it.

Mark Sottilaro