Re: Overloading Output Levels when layering sounds

Well, it seems to me that you'd want a compressor/limiter in front of
whatever device is receiving the largest fluctuations in gain and thus
distorting unpleasantly.  I've seen some rules of thumb for guitarists
using
compressors that recommend one as the first device in the chain to provide
great signal feeding whatever processors follow and then a second at the
end
of the chain to reign it all back in and clean it up before feeding
mixers,
tapes, PAs, etc..  Seems like good logic to me.

Of course, there's a wealth of information on compressors out there that
could shed some light on the topic, but in depth discussion is probably
better suited to a general audio list.  In the end, the best bet is to
play
around with whatever you can get your hands on (or off if you're into the
minimalist thing) until you find something that you like to hear. :)

Todd