Re: Shared 'discoveries'

To keep this in the Nordic vein for a moment, I'm
currently enjoying albums by Hoven Droven and
Gjallarhorn in addition to the Hedningarna and
Garmarna that Tim mentioned.  The former are not as
electronic as the latter, but are mightily cool in
their own right.  For similarly hip electro-Celtic
music, I highly recommend Michael McGoldrick's _Fused_
and Alyth McCormack's _An Iomall_, both on Compass
Records, as well as anything by Martyn Bennett (but
particularly his self-titled first record) and Bill
Laswell's _Emerald Aether_ remix disc.  I also spent a
good chuck of time this week cruising mp3.com for new
stuff (taking advantage of my boss's absence); check
out raisedbyaliens and Dysrhythmia for some cool
guitar-trio instrumental rock.  And just for a moment,
I'll bow briefly to my lingering metalhead roots and
recommend the latest albums by Incubus, Puya, and
Disturbed.  It ain't loopy, necessarily, but it's good
aggressive music that actually displays some
musicianship, which fortunately seems to be more
common in the heavy rock scene lately.  Don't haul yer
spandex out of the closet just yet, though. =)

>Their stuff is in many
>ways similar to a project I'm currently involved in:
>a percussion/electric
>upright bass/loopmangled guitar trio fronted by a
>female Celtic vocalist.

Dammit, Tim, this is the band I'd've started if I
could find the personnel.  Please tell me you have
some samples to share!

Later,
Scott

=====
Scott Martin
coirbidh_99@yahoo.com

And if it's up to us to bring some balance back
Let it not be said it's courage that we lack

-Gaia Consort, "Cry Freedom"