Re: Chords (was Adrenalinn)

--- James Pokorny <j.pokorny@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

<lots of good stuff snipped throughout>

> Since it
> is primarily a soloist's music (singer or
> instrumentalist, accompanied by drum and drone)
> there is no interweaving of melodic material

In South Indian (Karnatic) music, in contrast to North
Indian (Hindustani) traditions, a violin usually echos
portions or the entirety of the main
vocalist/instrumentalist's melodic phrases about a
second or two behind them.  This echo and the main
melodic phrases frequently overlap, but as you
suggest, they don't 'interweave' as separate melodies
forming harmonies.  Fun to imitate with an EDP :-)

> One of the reasons for the lack of harmony in Indian
> music is that so little of the melodic material is
> precomposed,

Karnatic music in contrast has a wealth of precomposed
pieces.  It is curious (basking in broad
generalizations here) that a culture (western
European) that tends to value individualism creates
classical music requiring an extraordinary number of
musicians to cooperate to perform that music, while
another culture that tends to value social conformity
(Indian) creates classical music traditions that
glorifies the creativity of the individual. /soapbox

Sometimes I think I bought the EDP just to create
kick-a** drones!

Stephen