Re: 'stretchy' loops (was An Oxymoron Replies)

Wow, the list is talking about looping!  Stop the press...

One very powerful way of playing with time within loops in an EDP is
setting quantize=off, and ending multiply with record.  This lets you
COMPLETELY redefine the length of a loop, from ANY point within that
loop to ANY other point (within the initial press of multiply and the
ending press of record); it lets you take any fragment within a larger
loop and turn it into a new loop/cycle.  Very useful for turning rubato
loops into highly rhythmic ones (or vica versa!)

Another thing I've been doing a lot of lately has been, as Steve
suggested, taking a loop with a lot of random, abstract, seemingly
arhythmic stuff in it, and then trying to deduce where the pulse would
be in that, and overdubbing a very straightforward and obvious rhythmic
pulse under that.

And...

um, let's just say this particular thread and concept will be INFINITELY
more interesting and exciting to discuss on the list post-April 24.  ;)

Ahem....

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com