Loopers do it repeatedly (was Re: Fw: THIS IS FOR REAL. (THIS IS A LOOP BASED MUSIC LIST!)

On Tuesday, June 4, 2002, at 05:49 PM, Jon Wagner wrote:

> I'd love to hear other people's ideas
> on using the repeater "organically."

(This got sent direct to Jon... it should have gone to the list)

In some ways, I was grossly dissapointed with the Repeater's
performance. I had assumed that it would be like 4 DL4's plus more...

The things that annoy me about it are:

1. When you record the first loop, the record button cuts out when you
set the end point for the loop. This can cause clicks in the audio if
you do not keep the break points clean... Why it cannot have a
continuous overdub feature (like the DL4) I do not know.

2. Ambient drones : Anyone tried this? Notice the 'clicks'.... why, I do
not know. It is impossible to get a nice harmonic drone without having
an attack note in there somewhere.

3. Midi implementation - In the documentation, it says that everything
you can do on the front panel can be assigned to Midi. Utter bollocks
(excuse the French). You cannot erase tracks, select multiple tracks for
pitch shifting, or copy loops. Also, it uses CC codes higher than 95,
which makes my Roland FC200 pedal completely useless.

4. Panning - When you delete a loop of all of its tracks, the panning is
set back to the centre for all 4 tracks. Why?

Saying that, those are the bad points. It does have a lot of good
points. With a good midi pedal, you can do some amazing things with
'slipping' tracks in the loop, as well as pitch shifting. The realtime
tempo changing is not that bad - with very little sound degredation
until you stretch/reduce a lot from the original BPM.

So I'd agree with your points about it being more geared to the studio
producer.

On its own, it is not a good organic looping tool. However, combined
with something like the Echo Pro, Echoplex, DL4 or whatever, and a
serious Midi controller, I think that it offers a hell of a lot of
potential for an organic looper.

--
Stuart Wyatt - Solo String Project
http://www.solostring.com