Re: The Best Live Drum Machine

     I have little to no experience with other drum machines, though I'm a
bit surprised that
there has been no mention of the Emu XL-7, the MP-7, or the Proteus 2500
(which is the exact same
beast as the other two just dressed in more respectable clothing.)

     I didn't buy this as a drum machine, though it totally kicks the
llama's butt.  I bought it
to replace my Proteus 2000 which I used as a sound module with both my
keyboard and my Axon guitar
synth.  Basically, it's a 16 channel sequencer with an incredible user
interface for live
manipulation.  Each of the 16 tracks can be punched in or out with
dedicated buttons.  16 knobs
control volume or pan for each track, OR editing of 16 different
parameters of a selected internal
sound, OR sending those 16 knobs out to control external gear via midi.

     To address the thread of keeping your "drum machine" sounding
interesting, I would suggest
keeping your loops long.  The sequencer on this beast can play up to 32
measures (at any crazy
time signature that you like) giving you the opportunity to play the same
thing over and over with
subtle inflections and differences each time.  Let's say you have a 4/4
pattern at 4 measures
long, you can repeat this segment 8 times before looping it.  Each track
can be quantized (or not)
at a different quantization setting.

     I like to lay down a bass drum in a simple quantized mode.  Then each
additional track
receives another sound from the wide variety of samples on the machine.
For these tracks I leave
the quantize function off, to give it a more "live" feel.  I can turn on
or off each track
individually to vary the texture while playing it back.  I can then go
into "song mode" and record
these track mutes or any other parameters (volume/pan changes, etc).
Linking patterns back to
back also happens in song mode.  This is useful for the
"verse/chorus/verse/middle
section/verse/chorus" approach, or linking patterns with contrasting
meters.

     In a live situation, it is a 16 track looper, much like the Repeater,
though you can only use
the internal sounds via midi (or external midi units too), as opposed to
audio looping.  First I
set my loop length, start recording on track 1, (I can continue to add
more and more sounds as it
comes back around) then switch to track 2 (with a different sound) and
layer that in etc.  I can
transpose tracks on the fly, add modulation or pitch bend, mess with the
FX, trigger up to 16
different arpeggiators, play the one octave keypads, alter the master
tempo in a variety of ways,
the possiblities are legion.

     I haven't tried this yet, though I could input all of the tracks from
my guitar synth, adding
to the "live" aspect.  Combined with a midi foot pedal controller like the
FCB1010, many functions
can be controlled via foot pedals.

     Unlike most midi gear that I've played with, the user interface on
this beast is very
friendly (as opposed to almost anything else that Emu has produced since
they stopped doing the
modular synth from the 70's.)  The support staff has been great as well.

     Recently the price on the XL-7 and the MP-7 came down to $1,000
(street price), to match the
Proteus 2500.  Both the XL-7 and the MP-7 have the one octave keypads with
aftertouch, a
touchstrip ribbon controller and a 12v gooseneck light outlet, which do
not appear on the Proteus
2500.  The main distinguishing feature between all three is that they come
with their own sound
chip, (with three extra slots for more sounds).  Right now Emu is doing a
promotional sale on them
where you get the Proteus sound chip free with purchase of the xx-7
module.  You can find them new
for about $840 if you look around and less if you are willing to buy them
used.

     And there's a fantastic YahooGroup mailing list for these machines
(second only to LD), with
two Emu guys on it to answer and clarify any bugs or questions.  Many of
the current upgrades came
from this list.

     My main quibble with it is the choice of color, which a can of spray
paint should be able to
address.

     I've had it for about two months, and I feel like I've only scratched
the surface.

             Cheers,

                  SVG