RE: Loop IV: Substitute is awesome

At 08:20 PM 6/24/2002, Gary Lehmann wrote:
>I just plugged the SR-16 in (actually out) and although I haven't listened
>yet, it looks like driving drums from the EDP is going to be easier than
>ever.

It should be. Synchronization improvements are one the most exciting and
dramatic new aspects of LoopIV.

To me ReAlign is one of the most exciting things about LoopIV. I simply
love it. ReAlign makes everything about synchronization 1000 times better
and more useful. It is so exciting to me, I mean *nothing* else does this.
When you have multiple devices in sync, you can do anything you want to
the
Echoplex to knock it out of phase with the other guys. Reverse, HalfSpeed,
retrigger, etc. Play every kind of rhythmic phase and syncopation game you
want. The echoplex keeps track of everything all the way through,
maintaining sync and keeping track of all the downbeats. Then when you
want
to pull it all back together again for that incredible rhythmic
tension-release, you just hit ReAlign and slam it back together again.
It's
beautiful!

Plus the ever practical uses. Stop the sequencer to do some editing, then
start it up again dead in sync. It works either way, whether the EDP is
the
clock master or the slave.

Plus you have SyncRecord, for everybody who hates being forced into
quantization. Now when you are syncing to another source you can start
recording at any time. No need to wait for the downbeat if you don't want
to. The echoplex  will keep track of everything and keep you in sync. You
don't even have to wait for a full bar of the other device to play. As
soon
as sync appears, LoopIV lets you start recording. It keeps track of the
time while the Record is going. When you end Record, it rounds off to
where
it is supposed to and locks in the sync. It is so easy...

And you can all thank Claude for it. He is the maniac that insisted and
made it real....

>I was pleasantly surprised to find MIDI input echoed as soft thru on
>the out jack--is this new?

yes, this is the MIDIpipe feature. It really is helpful now for switching
configurations between different sync clock masters, or different stereo
vs
multitrack setups. You don't have to go rewire your midi connections all
the time.

>Is there any way to toggle it?

no, but is is not a dumb merge function. It has intelligence to pipe
things
that are supposed to get piped and not pipe things that are not. So for
example you don't end up with double clocks or such. the idea was that you
should be able to plug in your rack and forget about it.

kim