Problems with Line 6 Echo Pro

I'm new to this looping thing and managed to get myself a Line 6 Echo Pro
as
my entry into this arena.

I've got some problems setting it up and seem to recall reading posts from
other subscribers who have this unit, so I'm after your experience /
advice.

Here's the thing. As soon as I plug the unit into mains electricity (no I
haven't touched the front panel power switch) the unit switches itself on,
display 'INIT' briefly and then goes into the 'lightshow' mode before
apparently settling down to normal.

My reading of the manual led me to believe that it would do nothing until I
turn the power on with the switch on the front panel, would go into
'lightshow' more and then settle down for normal use (no mention of the
'immediate power up' or 'INIT' messages in the manual)

I'm running the unit using an FCB1010 and have had that talking to the Echo
Pro and my other FX unit successfully - but this entails a couple of
MIDI/SYS changes on the Echo Pro, most notably telling it to respond to
MIDI
messages on channel 2 instead of the default, channel 1.

When I make these changes they are apparently stored within the unit during
normal power up / power down cycles (using the switch on the front panel)
but if I disconnect the unit from mains electricity and reconnect it, the
unit goes through it's 'INIT' power-up cycle and forgets all my changes.

So I have three questions for those of you with these units, is the 'INIT'
power up normal, is there some 'extra' SAVE option that isn't described in
the manual that makes MIDI/SYS changes non-volatile, does it sound like
I've
got a dodgy unit?

I've directed the same questions at Line 6 (haven't heard anything from
them), but would like input from other users of the Echo Pro (or any Line 6
Studio Modeller for that matter).

Thanks

Matt Gallagher (UK)