Re: Expanded Midi Commands and the EDP

Hi again Steven,

"M. Steven Ginn" wrote:

> First, is there a midi commands list somewhere for the EDP (Loop III)?

There is (in the LoopIII manual), but it's duplicated in the LoopIV MIDI
commands list.

> For example what is meant by "source# offset"?  And,
> where does the Note value fit into the programming scheme?

They're interrelated.  There's a parameter called "ControlSource" which
lets you select the starting note/CC value which the MIDI commands table
is based upon.  The default value for this is 36.

So, for instance, the default "source# offset" for Record is 2.  If
ControlSource is set to 36, then the MIDI note (or CC number) to engage
Record would be 38 (ControlSource=36 + source# offset=2).

> Finally, is it recommended that all of these functions be programmed for
> use by a foot controller and if so, which ones would most likely be used
> during a performance?

It's a really personal issue, because so many of the DirectMIDI commands
lend themselves to different types of techniques.  For myself, I have
different banks on my MIDI footpedal, each one of which has a different
collection of DirectMIDI commands programmed into them.

The best advice I would offer would be to pick a few commands that look
intriguing, assign them to a MIDI controller, and experiment.  You'll
likely find that different commands work better, depending on your
playing style.

A few examples of ways to group DirectMIDI commands:

-- A "sus-mania" bank with lots of different SUS-commands available (I
love this one)

-- A bank where the top row contains note values to select different
loops, and the bottom row allows you to perform different functions
within a loop (overdub, insert, multiply, etc.) so you can switch
between loops quickly

-- An "insert-mania" bank with lots of different Insert modes available
at once (Reverse, Half-Speed, Replace, Substitute, SUS, etc.) so you can
access them all at the same time without having to change the front
panel Insertmode.

Trial and error are the keys here - take some time and experiment to see
what works best for you.

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com