Re: Popularity/influence/etc.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:35:27 -0700, "Andre LaFosse"
<altruist@earthlink.net> said:
> For my own personal music-making, I feel the same way.  But at the same
> time, my favorite real-time loopist is probably Amy Neuberg, whose

thanks for the tip, i will check it out.

> With all due respect, I absolutely cannot understand this idea at all.
> Jam Bands play improvised music, and Phish is playing Madison Square
> Garden on New Year's Eve.

Well Phish is an exception to everything.  They play stadiums despite
no radio airplay or MTV.  In a way, they's still not mainstream despite
being so huge.  To me, the average non-musician likes written songs
with words that he can sing along to, both on the radio, and when he
goes to a concert.  That is the impression I've gotten from the people
I've met and what i hear and see on the radio and mtv.  Of course many
people listen to improvised music, but i wouldn't call it mainstream.
But that depends what one considers to be "mainstream."  I know improv
doesn't automatically equal experimental, but i don't see an
improv-based piece going #1 anytime soon either.

Ernesto

--
ernesto schnack
http://schnack.does.it