Re: EDP and a BIG burst of static/hiss

Hey kids.

Again, I want to say thanks for all the info and help.  I didn't know
enough
about the EPROM burning process to realize that it was probably not
software.

So, what I did last night was take the whole thing apart (again) and clean
that baby up.  I took each EPROM and memory chip (which I had not
previously
touched, upon finding the bent EPROM pin... yes Kim, it was in fact in
there
after I fixed it) and scrubbed it all down with contact cleaner.  The
EPROMs
seemed fine, but I did notice a fair amount of black on the cuetip after
cleaning off the memory chips.  I then put it all back together and, of
course, it worked fine.  Played with it for a few hours with no problem and
went to bed with a loop running and woke up with it still there.

I wouldn't call this a good test, but it was barely staying booted up for 5
minutes before I did the big clean.  I'm going to try and repeat this every
night to make sure everything's good.

I still feel this is kind of weird though.  I've got a Mac SE30 that still
runs with no problems.  I also had a Mac IIX that ran for years and years
and
years.  In the hot humid summers and bitter cold winters of upstate NY.
I've
never had to clean a contact or reseat anything, yet this seems common with
the EDP.  Someone said it was because of the fact we take the EDP out and
bang
it around a lot more than computer gear, but I used to take the SE30 around
with me to gigs as a MIDI sequencer, so it often went to gigs in sub 0
conditions, only to find itself in a heated enviornment moments later.  The
thing still boots up.  I still use it to run the "Fish" screensaver in leu
of
a real fishtank.

Could it be the type/brand of ram Gibson uses?  Why not clean it with a
cleaner that protects it from oxididation before installing it?  My unit
was a
newer Gibson unit that's probably been a San Rafael CA storeage room most
of
it's life.  That can't be a bad climate for electronics gear.  Moderate and
dry all year.  I know shit happens, but something tells me that other
forces
are at work in this case.  We need to tell those Brits to stay away from
the
stout and start QC'n their gear before they ship it.

Mark Sottilaro