Re: "Save Loop" feature (was Andre EDP Loops)

In a message dated 9/14/02 4:45:20 AM, steve@steve-lawson.co.uk writes:

[Steve quoting Kim]

>> The "storing" part and the "transferable" part always seem like nice-
>> to-have features. It would be a nice little check box to have there on
>> the EDP brochure - You can save your loops and easily transfer them
>> to PC!

[Steve's comment]

>I have to say that at the moment I'd have no need of those features in
>an EDP. I guess that for me was the biggest different between the EDP
>and the Repeater - EDP is ostensibly a looper/mangler, Repeater seemed
>to be a versatile real time sampler...valid distinction? probably not...
>:o)

I sort of agree with some of the above. But one of the things that is VERY
"nice" about saving loops to reuse later is capturing the "How the hell
did I do that? Gee, I wish I could save it." sort of event. The reuse
may or may not involve performance directly. It may be educational --
to disect the loop and determine what the heck is really going on in
it -- finding out how and why it works.

But, there are plenty of "work arounds" for this -- the most obvious being
simply recording everything you do (not always possible). Beyond the use
of my guitar and EDPs, my own practice of looping these days (actually
for a long time now) does involve recording a whole lot of stuff on my Mac
quite a bit of the time -- and using the computer to save, edit/mangle it
death and a sampler to loop it later in performance (along with the EDP
stuff).

When the Repeater came out I was really tempted . . . stereo, time-stretch,
file saving and more. But I opted to get a better, more compact phrase
sampler (than my old Akai S-20) instead. An SP-303 saves to smart media
and is a simple, bare-bones unit for adding that "save and play later"
feature
to my EDP setup. Plus, it does a little slicing and dicing of it's own and
is
about the size of an average textbook.

I agree with Steve that the Repeater has a lot of "sampler"
characteristics
rolled into it's looper feature set. I guess that was what I eventually
figured
out and made my decision NOT to purchase one. Though I did actually talk
Dr. Bob (my drummer at Loopstock in SLO) into getting one as his first
hardware looper. He seems to be enjoying it too.

BTW -- those little, dinky phrase samplers that are out today are a vast
improvement on the days when I had to haul a couple of old Roland
keyboard samplers around to gigs -- in addition to my guitar, rack, pedals
and cabs. I may be an almost semi-okay guitar picker but I am a miserable
keyboardist. Put something as big as a keyboard (or 2) on stage with you
and folks actually expect you to PLAY it. When it appears that you don't
really (and only diddle with a few keys every once in a while) they are
often pretty darned disappointed. Oh well.

Looping along . . .

Ted Killian

www.mp3.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html