Re: dancing loops

Mark <RandomLFO@aol.com> said:

>As a professional Dance accompaniest (VCU Dance Dept./Richmond
>Ballet/Henrico HS/Latin Ballet of VA/ Yoga classes...), I greatly
>encourage all musicians to at least try working with dancers.

wow... how did you learn? Are there specific courses, a site...?

>Mixed meter phrases would be very difficult to work with on a
>looping device though.

is that needed for techique classes? well, EDP has Next functions for this
;-)

>With 2 loopers, asynchronous looping is particulary great for dance
>Improv.

even more chaotic?!

>In most cases though, Improv likes to have a lot of change.

true, I switch the loop off pretty often to freely follow the
movements until a new rhythm becomes stable.

>Contact Improv is a somewhat different animal. In contact Improv you
>generally will find that you can change your soundscapes more
>gradually.

true!

>      Live performance is of course very different than a classroom
>situation. Live Improv is where the most joy is. It is also the most
>challenging.

are there groups doing that for public? with rules? O does it look rather
wild?

I have seen the video of our last impro and it did not look good.
Seems that doing it, you have a better perception of what the idea is
and rather concentrate on only one person or couple of the group and
on TV you get the total picture which is pretty chaotic...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org