Re: dancing loops

     Hi Mathias. I am glad to hear that you are playing for dance.You have some great insights in regards to working with dancers. As a professional Dance accompaniest (VCU Dance Dept./Richmond Ballet/Henrico HS/Latin Ballet of VA/ Yoga classes...), I greatly encourage all musicians to at least try working with dancers. For Loopers, Improv would be the best place to start. However, someone that was very adept a adjusting tempos and meters on the fly, may consider playing for technique classes as well. Mixed meter phrases would be very difficult to work with on a looping device though.
     Along with technique classes, I have played for many Improv classes over the years. For some time I incorporated a Digitech RDS 7.6, then added a Jamman. The RDS 7.6 was great because it's delay time knob, of course, also changed the pitch of the loop. I could start with an approximately 2 or 4 second loop, then take it down to 7.6 seconds. This usually gave me a good, dark bed of ambient sound to layer over, or fade in and out of. With 2 loopers, asynchronous looping is particulary great for dance Improv. In most cases though, Improv likes to have a lot of change. Contact Improv is a somewhat different animal. In contact Improv you generally will find that you can change your soundscapes more gradually.
     Live performance is of course very different than a classroom situation. Live Improv is where the most joy is. It is also the most challenging.
     I will be doing a live improv with dancers and 2 other percussionists early next month. I don't know yet if we will be adding any looping into it. If we do, I will bring along my H3500DFX.
     Take care, Marc