Re: MiniDisc for field recording

>  > a portable HD recorder like the Jukebox should have the same quality
>>  as a DAT, if the converter is sufficiently good (I dont know), and
>>  its smaller and less sensitive to humidity and such, since the
>>  mechanics (the HD) is totally sealed. Its pretty small too, although
>>  not quite as small as an MD.
>>
>>  I think the quality of the MD depends more on the recording level and
>>  you tend to give a lot of headroom when field recording because the
>>  volume can change suddenly, so there the uncompressed audio certainly
>  > is an advantage.

>I´d like to know, what´s the diffrence between the compression in MD and
>mp3-players. Same with the AD-converter in MD,DAT and mp3. I read that the
>Archos Jukebox had better quality than most other mp3-recorder. Has
>someone
>Experience with it? Also: Is the something like a Sampling-Rate(16 bit) in
>mp3-machines?
>Carsten

MD and mp3 use a similar kind of compression.
DAT has no compression.
The Jukebox can record directly to mp3 or without compression (using
10 times more memory, but you have plenty on the HD)
As far as I know, the quality of the ADC (and the analog input
circuit!) is independent on posterior compression or not and
influences the sound in a different way.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org