Re: What is being promoted? (was: define what we do!)

Again, I'm new here...new to the list, and new to looping. Hell, I
don't even have an EDP yet--but hopefully soon. But I'm not new to
guitar. I've been playing about 20 years. I've been following the
threads to a certain degree, and just wanted to toss out a question
or two.

>>  >So people who've never heard of Robert Fripp but really like Chet
>Atkins
>>  >could be drawn in by his Grammy-award winning use of a JamMan in a
>song
>>  >of the same name.

Could someone recommend some essential Fripp recordings? I happen to
be into Chet Atkins, too, but I don't know that particular
song--gotta find it now though.

>  > right! Please do the "so forth", too, what more?
>
>Off the top of my head (and using highly visible names on purpose):
>
>Rock: Neal Schon, Vernon Reid, Trey Anastasio, Steve Howe, Brian Eno
>Funk: Doug Wimbush, Will Calhoun
>Pop: Peter Gabriel, Jon Brion
>Fusion: Victor Wooten, Frank Gambale, Michael Manring

 From this group of artists, many of whom I do like (Neal Schon and
Gambale in particular among the guitarists listed), could someone
please recommend some essential recordings where looping is employed?
Also, I have no Eno. Where to begin?

Aside: I'm a huge U2 fan and love Eno's influence on them. The Edge
makes considerable use of sequencers (as well as other loops...I know
they got into it a bit on the record 'Pop'?) in their live shows, and
I'm wondering if someone could give me some tips on what I'd need to
do (I assume I'll need a good keyboard with a sequencer, but can it
also be synched up to an EDP, or some MIDI control device, etc.
etc.?) to be able to replicate some of his stuff. In particular: The
sequenced intro. to "Bad", "With Or Without You", "Where the Streets
have No Name" or "The Unforgettable Fire" come to mind.

Thanks again,

Jeff