Re: innocent pleasures

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Richards" <kohntarkosz@yahoo.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 19:17:PM
Subject: Re: innocent pleasures

> <<8 track tapes of Ted Nugent (fade out, clunk,
> fade in)... (Do any of you remember how the 8
> track of Pink Floyd's "Animals" had that little
> extra instrumental bit on it that connected the
> closing and opening versions of "Pigs On the
> Wing"? Looping content, kinda...)>>
>
> I might only be 29, but I remember 8 tracks. We
> still have an 8 track that almost works. In
> addition to the "fade out clunk clunk fade in"
> aspect, they always rearranged the songs so that
> they'd fit on the four programs of the loop
> without anyone being too short. Frequently,
> they'd repeat a song, sometimes playing just the
> first verse and chorus or whatever and then
> fading out.
>
> And though I never owned Pink Floyd's Animals on
> 8-track, I do know that version of Pigs On The
> Wing you mention. It's been frequently
> bootlegged, and was eventually released
> legitimately on Snowy White's Goldtop compilation
> (that's Snowy playing the guitar solo, he says he
> went to Britannia Row studios, where the band was
> working on the album, to audition for the 2nd
> guitarist/bassist spot on their upcoming tour,
> and Roger Waters said something to the effect of
> "Since you're here, why don't we record
> something").
>
> I don't remember my first single, but I think my
> first album (or at least the first real
> non-children's record my parents ever bought for
> me) was a cassette copy of Double Platinum by
> Kiss when I was 5. I had this rinky dink toy
> cassette player, I think it was a Bugs Bunny
> cassette player, anyway, I remember sitting in
> the dining room when we got home from Wal Mart,
> and I sat there listening to it for the first
> time. I also remember it was a two cassette set.
> I guess back then, they hadn't figured out how to
> make a double length tape or whatever so that
> they could have the only whole thing on one tape.
>

> I also remember trying to talk my parents into
> buying me a copy of Boston's Don't Look Back,
> which had probably just come out at the time, and
> I was immediately taken by the cover artwork. I
> think my dad, trying to avoid paying whatever a
> new LP would have cost back then, said somethin
> to the effect of "You won't like that". Ten years
> later, I was able to prove him wrong by buying my
> own copy of it.
>
> I got turned on to my music by my oldest brother
> when I was little. He used to listen to Kiss,
> Uriah Heep, Peter Frampton, BTO, that sorta
> stuff.
>
> And I don't care what anyone says, Billy Idol's
> Rebel Yell is a really good record.

No doubts there.  I love Steve Stevens' work!

On the 8-track fade-switch thing, another one that was done up special for
the format was ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery", wherein the random synthesizer
bit at the end of 'Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression pt.1" didn't fade out, but
instead had an extended synth bit right into "pt.2".  I was always
disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to do that same mix for
the CD, but perhaps their 'new remastered version with bonus tracks" may
offer something...

S.P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*