Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

  Mark, interesting post.   I've actually gotten the whole CD response from
another musician no less, during a festival!   I and a friend were playing
guitar synth, and electric dulcimer synth respectively, and were not
looping at all.   A drummer from the next band was setting up behind us for
their set when we finished.  anyway, he mentioned afterward after realizing
that the sounds he heard were us, that he'd thought it was a CD playing.
Go figure.
  I think sound choices have something to do with it as well.   If people
are seeing string instruments being played, and hearing all sorts of
layered well-produced rich chordal sounds, they may not realize what's
happening.  My friend was playing with an effected dulcimer sound along
with a synth patch, and I was playing various synth patches.   So there
were in essence, three tracks of music going on, to someone listening.  So
it may not always be easy for people to tell what's being played live and
what's prerecorded.
  <smile>  As for the whole improv thing, I actually find that to be
incredibly more relaxed than prepared stuff.   -just my thoughts...   Have
an awesome day!, K?

Smiles,

Cara

At 08:40 AM 11/14/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Greg House wrote:
>
>> Stewart said many people think he's playing to backing tracks. That's
obviously a
>> statement that says his looping technique is very seamless and
>effortless.
>
>After a particularly good performance, I had someone come up to me and
say, "Wow,
>that sounded great.  Like you were playing a CD."  I think that most
>people's
>experience, these days, with music is recorded, not live.  That's a tough
act to
>follow.  Any of us that record know the time an effort that goes into make
a good
>sounding recording.  It's no small task to recreate that on stage,
especially with
>improvised music.
>
>I'm thinking of abandoning my 100% (except for drums sequences) improv
method of live
>music because I'm realizing that it's just too hard to be "there" all the
time.  To
>be honest, I'm jealous of the attention that people get who show up with
polished
>"pieces" when I'm flying by the seat of my pants.  I think I'll confine
that "flying"
>mainly to my home.  I just can't complete with a DJ that's playing
something that
>took a month to produce in a recording studio.  Not live anyway.  Right
now I'm
>composing basic chord structures and a riff or two that I can then
improvise off of.
>I'm hoping this will increase the "wow, that sounded like a CD" response,
meaning
>people feel it's a polished well thought out piece of music.  I think the
total
>improv thing is just contributing to the basic stress level of a gig
>anyway.
>
>Mark Sottilaro

---

-Then, anything is possible..."