Re: Fretless MIDI guitar

At 01:20 PM 1/2/2003 -0800, Richard Zvonar wrote:
>At 1:58 PM -0600 1/2/03, Catilyne wrote:
>
>>I can personally vouch for the Prophet 2002, Prophet VS, and Studio 440.
>
>These are all older models designed by some of the inventors of MIDI.
>It's
>unfortunate that certain features have not been implemented in newer
>instruments.

Agreed.  I likewise regret some of those more esoteric specifications were
never more widely implemented.  Kurzweil, I think, have also been pretty
good at implementing full spec, but they're definitely one of the
exceptions.  I never fully appreciated Note Off Velocity, but I still hate
not having Polyphonic Aftertouch on many modules.  It makes emulating
guitar and string parts so much easier.

Now that some of the original synth & MIDI pioneers (Dave Smith, Roger
Linn, Bob Moog) seem to be having success as specialty manufacturers, I'm
wondering if perhaps full implementations and real applications of some of
those lesser-known controllers might catch on.  Ah heck, I can still hope
anyway...

>>I'm also curious if there are any current MIDI processing programs out
>>there which could accomplish a similar function on existing hardware
>>(i.e. take an incoming MIDI note number then map it to a MIDI note +
>>pitchbend value).
>
>I could whip one up in a few minutes with Max:

Using Max for this had occurred to me, but I'd dismissed it as
overkill.  However, now that I actually think about it, can't you compile
freestanding applications with Max as well?  I thought I'd heard that some
of the different Pluggo's had been put together like that.  I've never
been
that much of a Max-head, but perhaps I'll dig out a copy anyway.  Like you
said, shouldn't take much time to crank out such a simple app.

>>I used to use an Atari program called UltraMidi with my Yamaha G-10 to
>>accomplish something similar
>
>Circa 1987. They've since gone uptown.
>
>http://www.mindovermidi.com/

Wow!  Damn, Zvonar, you are good!  I tried tracking down that program a
couple of months back and got absolutely nowhere.

Looks like they've got a second generation version of UltraMidi (Slave to
MIDI).  Might be worth dragging my Atari out of the closet, especially if
they've worked out some of the latency issues.

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil