Re: Fretless MIDI guitar

At 7:01 PM -0600 1/2/03, Catilyne wrote:

>I never fully appreciated Note Off Velocity

You and a few million others! The obvious thing about note off
velocity is that it enables you to control what happens during the
release portion of an envelope  (in the tone module you're playing)
and it lets you affect what happens in an effects processor when a
not ends. A musical example might be to have an invers relationship
between the release velocity and the release time, so that if you
release a note gently it rings out but if you release it abruptly it
cuts off. You could also control filter cutoff so that an abrupt
release results in a brighter sound on release, giving a more
"definitive" end to the note.

>Using Max for this had occurred to me, but I'd dismissed it as
>overkill.  However, now that I actually think about it, can't you
>compile freestanding applications with Max as well?  I thought I'd
>heard that some of the different Pluggo's had been put together like
>that.

Max is handy for all sorts of things, though even installed patches
such as Pluggo require greater resources than an equivalent compiled
application. I sometimes use Max for such trivial but useful
applications as a decimal-to-hex convertor. It's also a great
prototyping environment for "real" programmers who may later create
optimized versions of their Max patches.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com