personal histories [was: Re: CHEERS to 1 year!!!]

Title: personal histories  [was: Re: CHEERS to 1 year!!!]
9/ Gregory:

Congratulations on your success so far, and I love your enthusiasm in sharing it. I'm curious what kind of looping/ improv gigs you're getting paid for? Is Montana a hotbed of interest in experimental music?

It's also cool to hear how you evolved into what you are doing, and I'd love to hear more stories from others.

Here's my tale--

I'd been interested in being able to accompany myself and create a full sonic palette with my bass since I first got an analog delay in the early 80's and started using the echoes as a form of accompaniment. I used to play solo bass out in Harvard Square using the delay and a little Moose battery-powered bass amp.

Being in a number of bands over the years but never quite managing to find the right group of musicians to create what I heard and felt inside made me want to be able to do it all myself, and do it live.

It was only about a year ago that I finally put together an assortment of gear (EDP, DL4, Behringer mixer, volume pedals, a splitter, and a few processing gadgets) that allowed me to create music that feels complete, using only my bass and a drum machine. The first night I hooked everything together and sent a signal through it, I literally had tears in my eyes-- it was really the fulfillment of something I had envisioned for such a long time, but not known how I would create.

It's great that you have been able to make some money doing improvisational music. Here's how I've done in the past year (my first as a looping performer), I've traded music for massage from a dancer/ massage therapist with whom I'm collaborating on a piece, made a ton of contacts, had some great times, met some incredible free improv musicians with whom I've had the good fortune of playing, gotten a couple of free meals and nights of free drinks, made a few bucks here and there, made 2 Yen doing music for an indy film [plus the back end, of course (: ], gotten played on the radio, gotten a little bit of press.  I'm finding a bit of a niche doing art openings, and also want to do more sound design/ live audio- visual type things.

Anyway, I find it interesting to hear about your pathway, and again, it would be cool to hear the same from other people on the list, so this is an open invitation to tell about yourselves . . . . .

dan

--
ghost 7/ Oranje
http://envelopeproductions.com